Dry Eye Assessment and Treatment
There have been some great advances in the last few years. Enormous research and development has occurred and is still being developed because Dry Eyes are a huge problem for many people.
The Eye Practice in the CBD of Sydney now has the most advanced Dry Eye Clinic in Australasia. The latest treatments that are available include:
Lid Margin Debridement
– recently a study showed that this simple procedure is an essential component to any treatment that involved the meibomian glands. Dead skin cells can cover the glands which then blocks them.
– this device delivers the premium procedure for meibomian gland dysfunction.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
– This procedure is ideal when there is ocular rosacea and blepharitis present.
– This procedure is for anterior blepharitis.
Before any treatment protocol can be established a comprehensive dry eye assessment will be required using:
- Phenol Thread / Schirmers – this is to test for aqueous deficiency.
- LipiView – This instruments complements the LipiFlow but is an essential part of any dry eye assessment or follow up appointment. It measures lipid layer thickness and records blinking habits.
- Dry Eye questionnaires are completed as a reference for how bad the symptoms are perceived, what medications are taken and an autoimmune assessment profile.
- Meibomian Gland Evaluator (MGE) – this shows us whether your mebomian glands can secrete lipid under normal blinking.
- Manual Expression – this is a more forceful procedure that is performed if the MGE proves to be unsuccessful.
Dr Jim Kokkinakis has found that treating more serious cases of dry eyes requires significantly more effort and time. Unfortunately dry eyes are often either ignored or thrown into the too hard basket. We take exactly the opposite approach. Dry eyes can be debilitating and the reality is the new technology and procedures are used we can improve most patients with dry eye issues. Don’t let your symptoms get the better of you, make an appointment now.
Call on (02) 9290 1899 NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION.